If you want to make a real impact on education, on the lives of young people, and on your own career, you’ve come to the right place!
Working at Pear Tree Elementary is an opportunity to become part of a close-knit team of individuals committed to excellence and constant improvement of: ourselves, our students, and of education.
Whether you work for Pear Tree as a teacher, principal, chef, or administrator, we are all dedicated to the same goal: improving the lives of young people living in Vancouver.
Pear Tree Elementary prides itself on assembling and retaining a first-class team. We offer highly-competitive salaries and benefits package, as well as continuous professional development.
Here is a list of positions available starting September 2019.
- M.Ed. Elementary School Teacher
M.Ed. Elementary School Teacher
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a group of talented educators who are changing the face of education?
We’re Pear Tree Elementary, and we strongly believe that today’s schools aren’t doing enough to prepare students to succeed in the 21st century. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to provide parents and children with a new, progressive alternative to the schools of the past.
Our classrooms use theme-based learning – integrating inquiry, project and problem-based learning. Rather than teaching separate subjects, our students learn by doing, by imagining and by collaborating.
We’re looking for an exemplary elementary school teacher with a passion for progressive education: someone who understands that education needs to change, and who has the skills to bring that vision to the classroom.
If that sounds like you, then we can’t wait to hear from you!
You’ll be teaching one of two combined grade ranges, either K-1, 2-4 or 5-7. Unlike traditional classrooms, you won’t be teaching separate subjects, but rather through themes. So, you’ll need to be great at understanding the individual needs of your class, and at designing innovative learning practices, including the seamless integration of technology.
Most importantly, you’ll be committed to our progressive, whole-child teaching philosophy, and be able to get students and parents excited about everything our school has to offer.
You’re perfect for this role because you have the following in spades:
- Passion – teaching is your calling, and you do more than just educate, you inspire.
- Curiosity – you’re a lifelong learner, and love trying new things. You share your curiosity with students, and help steer them towards success.
- Tech savvy – you get excited at the prospect of applying new technology to the classroom, and you’re always looking for ways to improve your students’ experience. If you’re not already an Apple Distinguished Educator, it’s something you’d be interested in pursuing.
- Empathy – you can sense when a student may be struggling socially, emotionally or physically, and look for ways to foster health and wholeness.
Working @ Pear Tree
This position will have plenty opportunities for growth! If you’re the right person for the job, you’ll become an integral part of Pear Tree Elementary as our school expands in size and geography.
This is a full-time, 1-year contract position, with opportunity for a permanent position. Core hours are 7:50am to 3:40pm. There is an occasional requirement for longer hours, and attendance at open house events, but we know that life balance is important. You won’t be overburdened with extra-curriculars. We offer an impressive compensation package, with a salary of $84,897 plus benefits, plus a 2% yearly raise.
Because we’re educators ourselves, we foster an environment where teachers have the freedom to innovate in the classroom, and aren’t limited by standard curriculums. We work hard to be on the cutting edge, so you’ll also be working with like-minded professionals who are leaders in education.
We believe in a “whole child” approach to education, so your students will always have everything they need to thrive in your class.
- Masters Degree in Education (or Master of Arts or Science) + Bachelor Degree in Education
- 3+ years of experience teaching at the elementary level in Canada
- Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident
- Experience using learning technology (SMARTboards, iPads, etc.)
- Expertise in multi-grade classrooms and/or classes with a wide range of learners
- Strong knowledge of:
- Google products (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Classroom)
- Educational iPad apps
- C. Ministry of Education Certification (required before employment)
- Experience with student goal-setting
- Google Education, Microsoft Educator, and/or Apple Distinguished Educator
- Strong familiarity with updated B.C. Curriculum
- Experience with private school culture / families
How to Apply
- Email cover letter & resume in PDF Format to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure that cover letter & resume are written specifically for a position at Pear Tree Elementary (all ‘blanket’ resumes will be rejected immediately)
- Resumes should illustrated the QUALITY of education/experience, not just quantity
- Demonstrate how any qualifications, training, and experience are relevant to our school’s needs
- Proof read before submitting
- Please note that we only contact those selected for an interview
2. Submit Proof of Qualifications & Citizenship/PR:
- Prior to be being interviewed, we will need to see proof of qualifications and your legal status in Canada
3. Interview Process
- Depending on the number of suitable candidates, there may be up to two interviews required
- All interviews are individual interviews (i.e. we do not have group interviews)
4. Teaching Ability Check
- We will require all applicants to demonstrate the quality of their teaching. We will do this through our school or spring camps depending on availability. Teaching assessment will be paid for at a rate of $130/day. Lessons for this are designed by Pear Tree’s directors.
- We will also ask for examples of the following:
- 1 x sample Big Picture curriculum for a specific theme
- 2 x sample lesson plans for that theme
- 2 x references must be provided (preferably based in Canada)
- We check all references
6. Criminal Background Check
- As all job roles involve working with or around minors, a criminal background check is mandatory
7. Final Decision Process